Call for a quote: 1-866-358-2860

Does your home insurance extend to cover dog related accidents?


It’s very common to see people have dogs and other pets in their homes and apartments these days. At some point, I am sure you’ve wondered as to what happens if the dog hurts someone? Does my Insurance cover it? We have the answer for you.

The answer is… yes, your home, condo or tenant policy will (most likely) have you covered if a dog hurts someone. These types of policies are referred to as “third-party liability coverages”. In simpler terms, it means these that you are protected in case you are held responsible for doing damage to someone else. This extends to your dog as well. In case your dog hurts an individual, the insurance company will cover the damages if you are considered guilt or liable for the incident. The person responsible for the dog bite is the owner (regardless of who the care taker was at the time the injury happened). There are always exceptions to the rule. For example, if your dog has a history of biting or is a breed that is considered “high-risk”, it might not be covered under the home insurance policy. In that case, you must contact your broker to make sure you have the adequate coverage.

If your dog has injured someone, report it to the home insurance company right away. It’s important to report right away because in case the person needs the treatment a few days later and not right away, you are going to need help from the insurer. It’s definitely very exciting to bring home a new puppy. Contact one of our brokers today if you have any questions regarding your home insurance policy coverage.


Share this article


Recent posts


Popular categories

Frequently Asked Questions

How Does Cra Know if You Sold a House?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) tracks house sales through...

What are the requirements for a custom Ontario license plate?

To obtain a custom Ontario license plate, you must...

Why Was the First Time Home Buyer Incentive Program Discontinued?

The first-time home buyer incentive program was discontinued due...

How Do You Get a M1 Licence in Ontario?

To obtain an M1 licence in Ontario, you must...

What is Proof of Vehicle Registration in Ontario?

Proof of vehicle registration in Ontario is a document...

Which License is Required for Motorcycle in Ontario?

In Ontario, a Class M license is required to...

How Long Does It Take to Get a Motorcycle License in Ontario?

In Ontario, the process to get a motorcycle license...

Can I Ride Motorcycle With M1 License in Ontario?

Yes, you can ride a motorcycle with an M1...